Note: This feature requires an API key, which is only available to users with an Agency plan. We are unable to provide support for this Drupal plugin beyond what’s covered in the scope of this document.
If you use our Drupal module (or Joomla or WordPress versions), the content is presented in structured data markup and is indexed by Google. This is a legitimate SEO practice. We have not seen it penalized and in fact it can often yield benefits like rich-snippet stars in the SERPs. There are a number of reasons why this works and is white-hat:
- The stream assembles genuinely original content, re-publishing only snippets of each review pulled from disparate sources
- Each review is shown with attribution and links back to the original source per Google’s latest guidelines:
- Our approach respects the interests of the client (we only show the reviews you want to show), the original publisher (with snippeting and links), and the consumer (with proper attribution of reviews and not allowing the client to manipulate the ratings).
All of these practices reflect good Internet citizenship and a long-term view towards building marketing value in the “voice of the customer”.
Note: Google has released new August 2016 schema markup guideline updates. While module users may need to adhere to these new schema guidelines in the future, there is no current evidence that Google is enforcing them. And in the worst-case scenario, compliance is as simple as switching over to our standard, schema-free review stream embeddable widget.
We now offer a Drupal-specific version of our Review Stream widget. Optimized for Drupal websites, this module contains schema markup language to allow your business’ aggregate star rating to appear in Google search results.
1) Download the module
Go to https://www.drupal.org/project/reviewstream and download our module in .zip or .tar.gz format.
2) Install the module
In your Drupal editor menu, click Modules.
In the pop-up that appears, click Install new module.
Upload the module downloaded in step 1 and click Install.
3) Enable your module
Once the module has been installed successfully, you should see a confirmation page similar to the one below. To continue, click Enable newly added modules.
This link will take you back to the main Modules page. In the Other category, enable the Review Stream module by checking the box.
Click Save configuration to save your changes.
4) Setup the module
Return to Modules > Other and click Configure in the Review Stream’s entry.
Add in your API token (required – if you do not have one, get in touch) and adjust your settings. Below is a description of each field.
- Entity Type: Select Product or Local Business, depending on the nature of the business whose Review Stream you are configuring
- Review Schema (advanced): Select Microdata or RDFa. If you are unsure, keep the default setting
- API Token: Paste your API token in this field. You can find it in the My Account section of your account. Please note: API tokens are provided upon request. If you do not have one, please get in touch
- Path or shortname: Place the shortname for your landing page URL in this field, e.g. mybusiness for reviewplatform.com/mybusiness
- What to show: Choose whether to display the Review Stream aggregate rating, reviews, and/or ‘Powered by’ footer
- How to show it: Choose whether to randomize the reviews displayed, how many reviews to show in the stream, and whether you would like reviews displayed in List or Carousel format
Once you’ve setup your Review Stream, click Save Configuration to apply your changes.
5) Add the Review Stream block to your webpage
Once the module has been installed, enabled, and setup, it will enable the Review Stream block, which you can then add to your webpage.
In the main menu, click Structure.
On the following page, click Blocks.
In the Blocks list, scroll down to the Disabled section, where you will find the Review Stream block (called Reviewstream reviews).
Click the leftmost icon and drag the Review Stream block to the location where you’d like it to appear on the page. The below example has been placed in the Featured section.
Click Save blocks to apply your changes.
The Review Stream will then appear on your Drupal site.